If you have mold in your home, this can make you and your family sick, especially if there is a lot of it. There are things you can do to get rid of the mold, as well as to prevent it from coming back again. Keep reading to learn how you can do this, so you won't have to worry about your home making your family sick.
If you have a small amount of mold in your home, you can likely remove it yourself. Bleach is good to use because it kills mold spores and sanitizes the area. Fill a spray bottle with half bleach and half water and spray the mold. Let the solution sit on the mold for 15 to 20 minutes. You can then wipe the mold with a cloth, and it should come off. Bleach will not work well for porous surfaces, however, such as drywall or wood.
There is a product that you can purchase that will prevent mold from regrowing in the same area again. Purchase this and spray this area to keep the mold away.
If you continue to see mold, you should hire a mold removal company. They can do a test to determine how much airborne mold is in your home, as well as determine the type of mold that you have. Depending on how bad the problem is they will likely close off the room they are cleaning and whitewash the walls so that everything is covered to kill the mold spores. When the mold removal company is finished, all the mold will be gone. They can also use a deodorizer in the room to make it smell better because mold can leave behind a musty odor.
You need to determine why you had mold in the first place so you can prevent it from happening again. A common cause of mold is plumbing problems. You may have a leak somewhere in your home that you are not aware of. Hire a plumber to inspect your plumbing to determine if this is the cause.
For your bathroom, install a fan to prevent moisture from building up on walls, flooring, etc. A small amount of moisture is all mold needs to grow and spread on the surface. There are fans that you can install in the ceiling or on the wall in a bathroom. You can generally install these yourself or hire someone to do it for you. You should also purchase a dehumidifier to place in your home to keep the humidity down.
Contact a local mold removal service to learn more.